Monday 22 March 2010

[REVIEW] Over the Wall - Settle Down


I cannot write this review of Over the Wall's new single 'Settle Down' with an unbiased opinion. They are one of my favourite bands and I used their song 'Thurso' for my own cathartic gain when I was having issues communicating thanks and admiration to my dad (which I have still never fully expressed), so I have nothing but blind love and admiration for them. However, 'Settle Down' has a totally different feel to it than 'Thurso'.

I'm not sure whether it is the break-neck electronic beats or the yelping vocals (think Scottish Spencer Krug) which draws me deeper into this song, but it exudes a hypnotic quality which is deliciously moreish and undeniably danceable. The chemistry between Gav Prentice and Bill Hillman is more evident than ever (as anyone who has seen the band live will testify), demonstrated by their token harmonies and head spinning hooks (pick between trumpet, guitar, synth or that catchy chorus) pulsating throughout the song. 'Settle Down' truly cements Over the Wall as one of Scotland's most promising and talented bands, it doesn't take a bias opinion to see that.

Over the Wall - Settle Down


'Settle Down' is released on 7 inch vinyl and digital download on Monday 5th April on Motive Sounds Recordings. It is the first release following their debut EP ‘The Rise and Fall of Over the Wall’ (available in places which sell music, that song 'Thruso' is on it) and is taken from their forthcoming album ‘Treacherous’ due in the summer, so look out for that. They are also playing a gig for Ten Tracks at Verden Studios in Edinburgh on the 27th. Their album launch is at Captain's Rest on the 5th of April.

7 comments:

  1. love love love this band. seen them live a few times and they are always fucking awesome. the song thurso gets me everytime too

    ReplyDelete
  2. plus they are both fitties - but mainly that gav fellow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent dear blogger, to be chaste I hope you can add something about that music style because today electronic music includes many varieties and ranges from experimental art music to popular forms such as electronic dance music. 2j3j

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great album! I wonder if you have all the discography of this great band!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always make my laugh with your ideas and the information you post in your blog. I think this blog is the best medicine I can use when I need to recover my energy and to forget my problems for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The second man has to work a little be more in his pose. I don't look good at all.

    ReplyDelete