Friday 22 October 2010

[Vinyl Fetish] Dreamend - So I Ate Myself, Bite By Bite


Sometimes I buy an album on vinyl and it is just so lovingly and wonderfully crafted that it makes me feel good about music and record companies for a while. Dreamend's 'So I Ate Myself, Bite By Bite' is one such album. They are the output of Ryan Graveface, owner/sole employee of Graveface Records. Every vinyl Graveface puts out is something worth owning. Dreamend's previous record 'The Long Forgotten Friend' was a two vinyl LP with a pop-up picture in the middle of the sleeve. Albums by The Appleseed Cast and Monster Movie put a lot of record labels to shame. 'So I Ate Myself, Bite By Bite' has a lovely picture disk with a phenakistoscope so you can see the pictures moving whilst the record is playing (see below).

Now that the vinyl geek in me has spoken, I shall let the music fan in me speak. This record is a complete surprise to me. My previous encounters with Dreamend have been ones filled with layered shoegaze music but this record features songs driven by soaring melodies and banjo laden hooks. Graveface may not be the most technically gifted singer but his songs are so wonderfully crafted and patient and his voice actually suits them perfectly. 'My Old Brittle Bones' on side two of the LP has a rapturous finish that never ceases to put a smile on my face. 'Magnesium Light' is banjo lead and psychedelic fusing together Sam Amidon and Mitchell Museum, if that doesn't sound completely absurd! 'Pieces' is a definite highlight and is perhaps the most straight forward pop song on the album. Graveface exposes his shoegaze roots with the ten minute closer 'An Admission' as it tops the album off in grand fashion with it ending in a wall of noise and fury.

I love everything about this album. The way it looks, the innovation, and most importantly the music. This is something I cherish to own, which is what music should be and is sometimes lost in this age of MP3s.....being the hypocrite that I am there are mp3s below but I urge you to have a look at the wonderful vinyl on sale at Graveface Records. It is well worth it.


Dreamend - My Old Brittle Bones

Dreamend - Magnesium Light


No comments:

Post a Comment